|Politics | Staff | Community | Treatment | Facilities|
Turn of the century debates between allopathic and homeopathic schools of treatment, coupled with patronage contests, sparked the rise and fall of several hospital administrations. In 1901, homeopath superintendent W. L. Ray happily reported to the legislature that the use of common hypnotics, including morphine, "is now unknown in this institution." He also eliminated over-reliance on purgatives and laxatives. His soothing program of rest, recreation, and work replaced allopathic reliance on restraint and drugs. In early 1902, though, Governor Alexander Dockery replaced Ray and his assistant physicians with allopathic staff.
Meeting of the Asylum Board and Officials, c 1914.
Missouri State Archives