1849: A Commodious House
1855: Early Obstacles
1865-1875: A Period of Rebuilding
1880-1925: The Hospital Expands
1925-1940: Continued Growth
1900: A Self-Sufficient Community
1956: From the Ashes
1937: Biggs Center for the Criminally Insane
1984: End of the Farm
Through the issuance of $10,000,000 in state bonds and the support of Federal New Deal programs such as the Public Works Administration (PWA), Civil Works Administration (CWA), Works Progress Administration (WPA), and the Federal Emergency Relief Act (FERA), the facility underwent significant expansion in the late 1930s. Added were two new wings, a hospital, a psychiatric clinic / reception center, and a facility for the criminally insane.
Aerial view of State Hospital No. 1 from the southwest, 1934.
Missouri State Archives