1849: A Commodious House
1855: Early Obstacles
1865-1875: A Period of Rebuilding
1880-1925: The Hospital Expands
1925-1940: Continued Growth
1900: A Self-Sufficient Community
1956: From the Ashes
1937: Biggs Center for the Criminally Insane
1984: End of the Farm
For over a century, the Fulton State Hospital's farm provided food for its own patients, as well as those of other state institutions. The dairy herd of registered Holsteins included state fair winners, a source of pride for the hospital. Initially, hospital residents furnished the low-cost labor necessary to run the farm, but as de-institutionalization forced a decline in patients, the operation seemed superfluous. State audits questioned whether on-site food production was economical and the farm ceased operation--the last of the dairy herd was sold in 1984.
Dairy herd, State Lunatic Asylum No. 1, c. 1900.
Kingdom of Callaway Historical Society