|Politics | Staff | Community | Treatment | Facilities|
As superintendent, Alfred K. Baur established a chaplaincy program at the hospital. Determined to treat spiritual as well as physical and mental needs, Baur hired Reverend Dr. William Rogers as the hospital's first full-time chaplain in 1956. Rogers conducted chapel in each building and offered spiritual counseling. He also laid the foundation for today's Clinical Pastoral Education Program, wherein religion students serve twelve-month internships, not to evangelize, but to learn to approach patients as humans. With rising patient diversity, today's program is challenged to work with many faiths.