|Politics | Staff | Community | Treatment | Facilities|
Amidst reports of rising juvenile delinquency the Fulton State Hospital decided in 1956 to accept emotionally disturbed youth. The children's ward opened the following year with a quota of twenty patients. By 1964, juvenile patients numbered over two hundred. In 1968, $3.8 million was appropriated for a six-building complex. Dedicated in 1971, the Hearnes Child & Youth Center provided the state's first such youth facility. Equipped with residential schools, gymnasium, recreational center, outpatient clinic, and special amenities, such as a television studio, the center advocated individualized programs designed for specific emotional, social, physical, and special educational needs.