University of Missouri - St. Louis
Claude N. Strauser, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Louis District
The flood of 1927 is considered one of the worst floods of the 1900s. It started around the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers and flooded the tributaries southward to the Gulf of Mexico. The flooded area covered 27,000 square miles, including the towns of Forrest City, Arkansas; Greenville, Mississippi; Vicksburg, Mississippi; Hamburg, Louisiana; and Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Even though the flood peaked in April, water did not go below flood stage for two months. The floods caused 246 deaths, displaced 700,000 people, destroyed or damaged 137,000 buildings and caused $347,000,000 in financial loss (data from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers).
This collection has 69 images showing rescue work and refugees from the 1927 flooding of the Mississippi River Valley.
Rights and Reproductions
For use of these materials please see the St. Louis Mercantile Library Copyright Statement at http://www.umsl.edu/mercantile/gen-info/rights.html for contact information.
How to Use This Collection
These images may be browsed or searched. The materials are searchable by title, subject and description.
Further information on the Claude N. Strauser, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Louis District may be found online at http://www.umsl.edu/pott/collections/strauser.htm.
For additional information on floods or flood control in the years following 1927, please see:
- Special Collections and Archives, Southeast Missouri State University
- State Historical Society of Missouri campus offices
- Saint Louis Research Libraries Consortium
Additional resources showing the floodís aftermath along the length of the Mississippi River or its long-term impact on government policy are available in the following collections:
- Mervin J. LaBorde Papers at McNeese State University
- Resources for Waterways Transportation at Tulane University
- Neighborhood Union Collection, 1908-1933 at the Atlanta University Center
- New Orleans (La.). Dept. of Public Property. Records, 1912-1947 at the City Archives, New Orleans Public Library