Filing Information for Candidates
August 5, 2014 Primary Election
When and Where to File:
February 25, 2014 at 8:00 a.m.
March 25, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.
James C. Kirkpatrick State Information Center
First day filers will select a number by random drawing to determine placement on the primary ballot. After the first day, candidates will be placed on the ballot in the order of their filing.
Documents Needed for Filing:
- Paid receipt from political party for filing fee
- $200 - Statewide office, U.S. Senator
- $100 - U.S. Representative, Circuit Judge and State Senator
- $50 - State Representative
Political party representatives will be available in the State Information Center on the first day of candidate filing to accept filing fees.
Must File in Person (Exceptions):
Candidates for state offices must file in person with the Secretary of State. However, members of the armed services on active duty or persons who are unable to appear in person because of physical disabilities may file by certified mail. Persons eligible to file by certified mail should contact the Secretary of State’s Elections Division for further details at Missouri Secretary of State, Elections Division (573) 751-2301.
Maps of Missouri’s congressional, senatorial and legislative districts are located on the Secretary of State’s web page. Detailed congressional, senatorial, and legislative district maps may be purchased from the University of Missouri Geographical Resources Center at (573) 882-1404, or on the web. http://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/s_default.asp?id=maps
Offices that file with the Secretary of State in 2014:
- 8 U.S. Representatives
- 17 State Senators – even-numbered districts
- 163 State Representatives
- Various judges*
* Some Supreme, Appellate and Circuit Court judges are either on the ballot or could be on the ballot depending on appointment dates.
Offices that file with the local election authority in 2014:
- Associate Circuit Judges
- Presiding County Commissioners
- County Clerk
- Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Recorder of Deeds
- County Treasurer (3rd and 4th Class Counties except counties under township organization)
- Prosecuting Attorney
- County Auditor (1st class without a charter form of government; 2nd class counties)
- Collector of Revenue (except counties under township organization)
- Any other offices that are vacated due to death, resignation or any cause, and which, under law, are required to be filled at the 2014 general election.
Campaign Finance Reporting or Personal Financial Disclosure:
The Missouri Ethics Commission will have representatives present on the first day of filing to answer questions regarding campaign finance reporting or personal financial disclosure. On other days during the candidate filing period the Missouri Ethics Commission can be reached by calling (800) 392-8660 or (573) 751-2020. http://www.mec.mo.gov
For additional information regarding elections or candidate filing call:
Missouri Secretary of State - Elections Division (573) 751-2301