Download the Employment Application
To our applicants with disabilities: If you need assistance with this or any phase of the employment process, please contact our Human Resource Office at (573) 522-6254. Reasonable attempts will be made to accommodate your needs.
(IT III/IV or Specialist)-IT Virtual Server Support Technician
$47,412 - $55,504/yearly
Jefferson City, Missouri
An individual in this position provides support and administration of the VSphere (Virtual Server) environment including building and managing virtual servers and desktops as well as configuring servers following design or installation specification requirements. This individual is also responsible for Storage Area Network (SAN), (EMC VNX5700 Unified Storage (File and Block Level) support, storage administration, and server maintenance. This individual also provides in-depth hands-on technology support to internal customers by identifying, prioritizing and confirming resolution of reported in-depth problems with desktop, laptop and networked systems. This position also performs basic analysis and technical tasks on server hardware and software products; including installation, configuration, routine problem resolution; as well as basic network infrastructure tasks. This individual is responsible for providing basic customer training for hardware and software usage, Fixed Asset management for IT products, and managing support requests.
The general responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following job functions.
- VMware Support (Vsphere)
Build and manage virtual servers and desktops
- Server Configuration
Configure servers following design or installation specification requirements
- SAN and Storage Administration
Provide implementation and support for Storage Area Network (SAN) and over all storage administration
- Fixed Assets Management
Track and manage IT Fixed Assets
- Customer Support
Provide and manage customer support requests
- Software / Application Support
Install, configure, and maintain desktop software applications
- Hardware Support
Install, configure, and maintain desktop hardware platforms
- Infrastructure Support
Basic tasks of configure, implement, and maintain server and network
Basic tasks of maintaining security within SOS enterprise
An individual in this position will be able to perform the following types of work tasks. Duties include, but are not limited to, these examples.
- Assist in the overseeing and operating of the SOS IT infrastructure.
- Provide computer/server customer support to SOS employees.
- Install and perform repairs to hardware, software, and peripheral equipment, following design or installation specifications.
- Maintain record of daily data communication transactions, problems and remedial action taken, and installation activities.
- Identify in-depth problem sources and resolve problems.
- Oversee the daily performance of computer and server systems.
- Refer major hardware or software problems or defective products to vendors or senior technicians for service.
- Manage, deploy, and maintain a mixed server environment comprised of both physical and virtual servers.
- Assist with the management of the backup systems of all servers, recommending procedures, upgrades, and enhancements.
- Build and manage VMWare virtual servers and desktops.
- Configure servers following design or installation specification requirements.
- Manage and track IT Fixed Assets; perform annual IT Fixed Asset inventory.
- Prepare documentation for IT procedures, tasks, etc.
- Assist with new computer software builds and installation.
- Ability to support and administer VSphere, specifically 5.5 including ESX host servers and VCenter server administration, including the ability to build and manage virtual servers and desktops as well as configuring servers following design and installation requirements
- Ability to administer Storage Area Network (SAN), specifically EMC VNX5700 Unified Storage (File and Block Level)
- Ability to install, configure, and administer desktop applications and desktop hardware platforms
- Degree in Computer Science or closely related field from an accredited college, university, or technical training institute.
- Minimum two to five years’ experience with computer information technology systems
- Minimum one to two years’ experience with EMC products and VMWare systems
Position posted January 31, 2014 for a minimum posting period of 15 days. The minimum posting period will end: March 21, 2014. After the minimum posting period, the position may be closed to new applicants and filled at any time.
Application materials (resume, completed application.) may be mailed to: Attention: IT Virtual Server Support Technician, Human Resources, Office of the Secretary of State, P.O. Box 1767. Jefferson City, MO 65102. HRmain@sos.mo.gov EOE