Download the Employment Application
To our applicants with disabilities: If you need assistance with this or any phase of the employment process, please contact our Human Resource Office at (573) 522-6254. Reasonable attempts will be made to accommodate your needs.
Director of Reference Services
Jefferson City, Missouri
State Library/Reference Services
This is a high level position directing a major program of the Secretary of State. The Director is responsible for the Reference Services program which provides library and information services to Missouri state government agencies and personnel. The Director has specific responsibility to develop service goals, interpret policy, establish service procedures for serving state government as a special library, and to provide value-added information products in an online environment. This position requires contact with all levels of staff, public, and partner agencies of the division.
- Participates in meeting the goals and objectives of the Secretary of State’s Office and the State Library both sharing initiative with and in response to requests by the Secretary and the State Librarian.
- Plans, organizes, directs and evaluates the Reference Services programs and products. Provides leadership in providing reference and information service in a rapidly changing online environment.
- Provides leadership in making information from and about government available and accessible to the public. Convene, lead, and participate in interagency efforts to build information indexing, cataloging, and use of universal locator systems to assist the state in achieving integrated content information easily found and used by the public.
- Supervises trains, assigns, coordinates, and evaluates staff of the Reference Services Division. Responsible for communication to and among staff, resolves staff issues and provides for staff participation as decisions are made. Helps staff grow and develop in a learning organization.
- Responsible for the overall policy implementation and acquisition of library and information resources into a comprehensive collection development program. Coordinates the collection management activities of professional and technical staff and responsible for the final selection decision for all materials, including print materials and electronic resources.
- Catalogs library materials for the Missouri State Library, including books, periodicals regardless of format using national cataloging and classification standards including AACR2 and MARC format. Develops and maintains expert knowledge of issues related to metadata and catalog database maintenance and technical issues and changing technology associated with OCLC operations in cataloging and metadata;
- Responsible for development of service initiatives to state agencies, including information products and the planning, coordination, and completion of all information requests received. Reviews all non-routine requests and inquiries and provides value-added special assistance to meet the needs of state officials and employees. Continually evaluates responses to requests and value of products.
- Administers the budget of the Reference Services Division, including all funds designated by the administration for materials collection and electronic reference services.
- Promotes the services of the Reference Services Division within state government and with other appropriate audiences by presentations, publications, and other informational efforts.
- Knowledge of state government, the processes of policy and legislation, some knowledge of the information products of state government, and the relationships of state government to the public and local government.
- Knowledge of information content delivery in an electronic environment, organization of and access to government information in traditional and evolving formats. Some knowledge of technologies used in libraries.
- Knowledge of principles of cataloging library materials using AACR2, MARC, and RDA, with cataloging experience preferred.
- Skill in managing personnel, including use of appraisal systems, progressive discipline, developing professional and technical staff, and maximizing creativity and participation of staff in decision making.
- Skill in managing fiscal resources, including monitoring expenditures within a budget, supervising funds used for collections, staff development, and planning technology expenditures.
- Skill in planning, setting goals and objectives, coordination of implementing programs, and evaluation of results in a government context.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Ability to conduct meetings effectively and productively participate in teams.
- Ability to develop and build partnerships with agencies and groups at the local and state level.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively market services to state government and achieve customer satisfaction, both personally and through staff.
- Ability to evolve new products to serve a changing environment.
A Master’s Degree in Library Service and five years of appropriate experience is required. Experience that is appropriate may include but is not limited to, experience in a library serving government, a government library serving the public, directing a special library, managing programs of electronic resources of information access using technology, cataloging materials for a special library. Two years should be in administration including personnel and fiscal management.
Position posted February 14, 2014 for a minimum posting period of 30 days. The minimum posting period will end: March 14,2014. After the minimum posting period, the position may be closed to new applicants and filled at any time.
Application materials (resume, completed application.) may be mailed to: Attention: Reference Services Director, Human Resources, Office of the Secretary of State, P.O. Box 1767. Jefferson City, MO 65102. HRmain@sos.mo.gov EOE