WHEREAS, weather conditions have caused a drastic shortage of rainfall within the State of Missouri; and
WHEREAS, this shortage of rainfall, combined with extreme heat, has caused a drought in the State of Missouri; and
WHEREAS, these conditions have resulted in a disaster of major proportions in the State; and
WHEREAS, the safety and welfare of the people of Missouri so require:
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOHN ASHCROFT, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI, do hereby proclaim that a state of emergency exists throughout the State of Missouri.
Pursuant to my authority under the Constitution and laws of the State of Missouri, including Chapter 44, RSMo, I do hereby declare and direct as follows:
1. No person shall build, maintain or use any open fire or camp fire in any county north of the Missouri River. This Order shall not apply to barbecue grills, self-contained stoves, permanent or portable stoves, or fireplaces located at developed recreational campgrounds or on residential property.
2. County commissions in counties north of the Missouri River may authorize open burning within their respective jurisdictions upon a finding that the threat to the public from fire hazard in that jurisdiction is not substantially greater than in years of normal rainfall. A copy of the order authorizing open burning shall be filed with the State Fire Marshall.
3. The ban on burning described in paragraph 1 of this Order shall apply in any county south of the Missouri River and in the City of St. Louis only upon the order of the county commission, county executive or the Mayor of the City of St. Louis. A copy of the order shall be filed with the State Fire Marshall.
4. All state and local law enforcement agencies are hereby authorized and directed to enforce this Order.
5. All state equipment and personnel are hereby made available for use during the effective period of this Order.
6. All state department directors and the Commissioner of Administration are hereby authorized and directed to use any personnel or equipment in their respective agencies to assist in the implementation of this Order.
7. All agencies and jurisdictions, federal, state and loca, acting under the authority of this Order or at the direction or request of anyone acting under the authority of this Order, shall coordinate their efforts through the Office of the Governor and the State Emergency Management Agency.
This Order shall be effective immediately and shall remain in effect until terminated by by further Order.
||IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 18th day of July, 1988.
||[John Ashcroft's signature]
[Roy D. Blunt's signature]
SECRETARY OF STATE
Governor's Executive Orders documents are available on this website in the .pdf format. In order to view or print them, you must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. To download a free copy of Adobe Reader, click on the icon below.
NOTE: If you are experiencing problems opening PDFs using IE8, please place the mouse over the selected PDF, right-click then select Open in New Tab or Open in New Window.