WHEREAS, many low-income Missourians including uninsured children currently receive behavioral health services through the Medicaid program operated by the Division of Medical Services of the Department of Social Services; and
WHEREAS, many low-income Missourians also receive behavioral health services through the Division of Comprehensive Psychiatric Services and the Division of Alcohol and Drug Abuse of the Department of Mental Health; and
WHEREAS, the Department of Social Services has specialized expertise and knowledge in the operation of service delivery systems in a managed care environment, and the Department of Mental Health has specialized expertise and knowledge in the delivery of psychiatric and substance abuse treatment services and support; and
WHEREAS, the Department of Social Services and the Department of Mental health support the inclusion of behavioral and physical health care in the MC+ system and have worked to improve the level of interagency cooperation to provide behavioral health services through MC+; and
WHEREAS, further interagency coolaboration between the Department of Social Services and the Department of Mental Health will improve the quality and delivery of behavioral health services provided through MC+; and
WHEREAS, the State of Missouri has expanded access to affordable health insurance, including behavioral health services, to approximately 90,000 uninsured children through the MC+ system.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Mel Carnahan, Governor of the State of Missouri, by virtue of the powers vested in me by the Constitution and laws of Missouri, do hereby order the Department of Social Services and the Department of Mental Health to:
- Collaborate in developing, implementing and maintaining a structure
of managed care that increases the quality, access, availability, cost-efficiency
and consumer satisfaction of MC+ behavioral health services
- Jointly address current concerns about the management of behavioral
health care in the MC+ program by sharing the expertise and knowledge
of each department in their respecive fields;
- Determine the MC+ population at risk, identify behavioral health needs
of those individuals and secure the most appropriate behavioral health
treatment under the terms of MC+ contracts;
- Develop strategies to build behavioral health systems capacity in
- Analyze covered services;
- Establish reviews of health-related consumer grevances and provider
appeals under the terms of MC+ contracts.
- Establish behavioral health sentinels indicators;
- Identify required data, participate in data analysis and establish
outcomes based on data analysis;
- Design and implement the quality assurance process for behavioral
- Participate in targeted reviews as necessary.
- Develop and evaluate Requests for Proposals;
- Participate in contract compliance reviews and readiness reviews of
behavioral health organizations and managed care organizations;
- Develop strong, clear, mandatory language regarding client rights
in the client handbook.
|IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 12th day of August, 1998.|
|[Mel Carnahan's signature]||GOVERNOR|
[Rebecca McDowell Cook's signature]
SECRETARY OF STATE
Governor's Executive Orders documents are available on this website in the .pdf format. In order to view or print them, you must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. To download a free copy of Adobe Reader, click on the icon below.
NOTE: If you are experiencing problems opening PDFs using IE8, please place the mouse over the selected PDF, right-click then select Open in New Tab or Open in New Window.