WHEREAS, the State of Missouri is a defendant in litigation regarding alleged segregation of schools in the St. Louis and Kansas City metropolitan areas; and,
WHEREAS, the State has from time to time been ordered by the federal judiciary to pay large sums of money pursuant to said litigation, and may from time to time be ordered to pay additional sums of money pursuant thereto; and,
WHEREAS, these federal court-ordered payments have been required to be made from the State Treasury without the safeguards and protections of the traditional state appropriation process; and,
WHEREAS, it is in the best interests of all Missourians that an entity of State government be established to monitor and account for said expenditures, and to insure that they are used properly; and,
WHEREAS, said entity should be composed of those state officials who have the responsibility and expertise to assist in the process of monitoring and accounting for said expenditures, and of insuring that they are used properly.
NOW THEREFORE I, CHRISTOPHER S. BOND, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of Missouri, hereby establish the Metropolitan Desegregation Task Force (hereinafter "Task Force"). The members of the Task Force shall be the Attorney General or his designate, the State Auditor or his designate, the State Treasurer or his designate, the Commissioner of Education or his designate and the Commissioner of Administration or his designate.
The purposes of the Task Force shall be as follows:
1. To determine whether desegregation expenditures are properly documented and accounted for be each applicable school district and whether all relevant financial information is appropriately disclosed in the financial reports of each such school district; and
2. To review the financing of desegregation programs and the expenditures made by each such school district to implement federal court-ordered desegregation plans; and
3. To determine the state's share of desegregation costs in accordance with applicable federal court orders; and
4. To determine if each such school district is conducting desegregation programs in substantial compliance with applicable federal court orders; and
5. To identify possible improvements in the operation of desegregation programs which would result in increased economy and efficiency.
The Attorney General or his designate shall serve as Chairman of the Task Force and the State Auditor or his designate shall serve as Vice-Chairman. The Task Force shall meet at the call of the Chairman or his designate, but not less than once each month.
Reasonable and necessary staff support for the Task Force shall be provided by the offices of the members thereof. The Task Force shall report to the General Assembly at least semi-annually.
IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, City of Jefferson, this 31st day of October, 1983.
[Christopher S. Bond's signature]
Christopher S. Bond
[James Kirkpatrick's signature]
James C. Kirkpatrick
Secretary of State
Governor's Executive Orders documents are available on this website in the .pdf format. In order to view or print them, you must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. To download a free copy of Adobe Reader, click on the icon below.
NOTE: If you are experiencing problems opening PDFs using IE8, please place the mouse over the selected PDF, right-click then select Open in New Tab or Open in New Window.