WHEREAS, it is the public policy of the State of Missouri to promote economy, efficiency and improved services in the transaction of the public business in the departments, bureaus, agencies, boards, commissions, `offices, independent establishments and instrumentalities of the executive branch of state government; and
WHEREAS, this public policy can be carried out in the following ways: (1) limit expenditures to the lowest amount consistent with the efficient performance of essential services, activities and functions; (2) eliminate overlapping of services, activities and functions; (3) consolidate services, activities and functions of a similar nature; (4) abolish services, activities and functions not necessary to the efficient conduct of state government; and (5) define and limit executive functions, services, and activities.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Mel Carnahan, Governor of the State of Missouri, by virtue of the power and authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the State of Missouri, do hereby establish the State Reorganization Commission as follows:
1. The Commission shall be composed of four (4) members of the Senate, four (4) members of the House of Representatives and four (4) members from the state-at-large. The Senate members of the Commission shall be appointed by the President Pro Tem of the Senate, the House members shall be appointed by the Speaker of the House, and the members at-large shall be appointed by the Governor. The Chairperson shall be designated by the Governor.
2. The Commission members shall serve without compensation, but shall be entitled to reimbursement for actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their duties.
3. The Commission may make such rules and orders for the regulation of its own proceedings as it deems proper.
4. The Commission shall hold meetings whenever called to session by the Chairperson.
5. Each state agency shall, on request, cooperate with and assist the Commission in the performance of its duties and shall make available all confidential books, records or information not otherwise restricted by law.
6. It shall be the duty of the Commission: (1) to examine the organizational structure of the executive department of the state government to determine the need for changes or revisions in the interest of efficiency and economy; (2) to study and evaluate the several state agencies and elected officers as to their internal organization, management, powers, duties and functions; (3) to determine from such analysis the extent of conflict or duplication existing in the functions, programs and work within these agencies and offices; (4) to devise and recommend plans of governmental structure, organization, methods and procedures for the better coordination, integration and operation of the state's executive department.
7. The Commission shall, on or before September 15, 1994, make a report of its findings and recommendations to the Governor and to the General Assembly. At such time, the duties of the Commission shall terminate and shall be discharged.
||IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 26th of July, 1994.
||[Mel Carnahan's signature]
[Judith K. Moriarty's signature]
SECRETARY OF STATE
Governor's Executive Orders documents are available on this website in the .pdf format. In order to view or print them, you must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. To download a free copy of Adobe Reader, click on the icon below.
NOTE: If you are experiencing problems opening PDFs using IE8, please place the mouse over the selected PDF, right-click then select Open in New Tab or Open in New Window.