WHEREAS, drinking and driving is unacceptable; and
WHEREAS, all citizens of Missouri should be conscious of the effects of drinking and driving; and
WHEREAS, partnerships should be formed with local community leaders and state and local public officials to address the problem of drinking and driving; and
WHEREAS, I created the Governor's Commission of Driving While Intoxicated and Impaired Driving (the "Commission") to serve the above purpose; and
WHEREAS, the Commission has carried out its function with distinction;
NOW, THEREFORE, I Mel Carnahan, Governor of the State of Missouri, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the State of Missouri, do hereby re-authorize the Governor's Commission on Drinking While Intoxicated and Impaired Driving as follows:
The Governor shall designate two (2) members of the Commission as co-chairs. The Commission shall consist of eight (8) persons appointed by the Governor; one (1) member of the House of Representatives appointed by the Speaker of the House; one (1) member of the Missouri Senate appointed by the President Pro-Tem of the Senate; the directors, or their designees, of the Department of Public Safety, the Department of Mental Health, and the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
The Commission shall review and make recommendations to the Governor, to the General Assembly, and to agencies of state government, as appropriate, on the following matters:
1. Changes, if any, that are needed in state statutes, relating to DWI and impaired driving that will be effective in reducing traffic crashes associated therewith;
2. Measures which will assist law enforcement and the judiciary to most effectively enforce Missouri's DWI laws;
3. Measures to help our citizens develop a clear understanding of the DWI laws of this State and the Judicial system as it relates to these laws;
4. Review and identify current DWI prevention strategies in place statewide;
5. Assure there is a coordinated effort by networking with all highway safety advocacy groups throughout the State of Missouri; and
6. Such other policies, rules and regulations, and laws or actions that the Commission believes would be effective in reducing DWI and impaired driving.
The Governor's Commission on Driving While Intoxicated and Impaired Driving shall report annually to the Governor on its activities and shall include any recommendations it deems appropriate.
||IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 12th day of June, 1995.
||[Mel Carnahan's signature]
[Rebecca McDowell Cook's signature]
SECRETARY OF STATE
Governor's Executive Orders documents are available on this website in the .pdf format. In order to view or print them, you must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. To download a free copy of Adobe Reader, click on the icon below.
NOTE: If you are experiencing problems opening PDFs using IE8, please place the mouse over the selected PDF, right-click then select Open in New Tab or Open in New Window.