WHEREAS, on the 18th day of September, 1998, I issued Executive Order 98-16 which created the Advisory Committee on Chip Mills; and
WHEREAS, in said executive order I declared that all executive departments and agencies of the State of Missouri shall work cooperatively so that the governmental administration of forest resources combines professional management services, regulatory measures, and economic incentives in a complementary fashion to meet the purposes of this executive order; and
WHEREAS, the study ordered to be conducted by the Advisory Committee on Chip Mills was to include but not be limited to an analysis of:
- the experiences in other regions of the United States with the operation and forest resource harvesting practices of chip mills;
- the impact of Missouri's natural resources from new and existing chip mills in Missouri or neighboring states, including current and potential social, economic, and environmental impacts;
- the potential environmental impacts, including soil erosion, sedimentation, water quality, watershed protection, habitat loss, biological diversity, outdoor recreation and tourism, and the additional requirements that may need to be incorporated into any permit process to provide protection against such impacts;
- the sustainability of Missouri's forest resources under current timber production levels;
- the capacity of Missouri's forest resources to sustain increased chip mill production levels;
- the impact of chip mills on value added industries and high value forest products and the long-term profitability of private forests; and
WHEREAS, the Committee was also charged with developing a consensus around the study results and providing an opportunity for public involvement and reviewing forest resource management and protection standards, policies and processes in Missouri and other jurisdictions to identify alternatives for assuring economic and environmental sustainability; and
WHEREAS, in Executive Order 98-16 I directed all executive departments and agencies of the State of Missouri to apply forestry Best Management Practices, as included in the 1997 Missouri Watershed Protection Practice Guidelines (published by the Missouri Department of Conservation), in the management of all properties owned, controlled, or managed by these agencies to meet the purposes of said executive order; and
WHEREAS, I have been advised that in December, 1998, staff in the Missouri Department of Conservation prepared a "Draft Report on the Chip Mill Issue" and submitted it to Missouri Department of Conservation Director Jerry Conley and Missouri Department of Conservation Deputy Director John Smith; and
WHEREAS, the Missouri Department of Conservation did not present their report to the Advisory Committee; and
WHEREAS, Executive Order 99-11 extended the authority of the Advisory Committee only until February 1, 2000.
NOW, THEREFFORE, I, MEL CARNAHAN, Governor of the State of Missouri, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the State of Missouri, do hereby amend Executive Orders 98-16 and Executive Order 99-11 as follows:
1. The Advisory Committee shall continue its operation until it has carefully and thoroughly examined and reviewed the Missouri Department of Conservation Draft Report on the Chip Mills Issue, dated December 1998, submitted to Director Conley and Deputy Director Smith, but not presented to the Advisory Committee Co-Chair Mahfood until the last week of December, 1999, in order to assist the Committee in drafting its final recommendation. This examination and review should include public hearings on the draft report in order to give Conservation Commissioners who have not seen the report, the Conservation staff who prepared the report, as well as any members of the public sufficient time to review the report and present their views to the Advisory Committee.
2. Paragraph 7 of Executive Order 98-16 is amended to read as follows:
7. The Advisory Committee on Chip Mills shall be co-chaired by the Directors of the Department of Natural Resources and Department of Conservation, with the assistance of the Directors of the Departments of Economic Development and Agriculture. The chairs shall not appoint Designees to carry on their duties as co-chairs without prior authorization by my chief of staff. These Departments shall provide appropriate staffing to support the activities of the Advisory Committee. The Department Directors shall not be permitted to appoint designees to carry out this directive without prior authorization by my chief of staff. The Attorney General's Office is requested to continue to provide legal advice and assistance to the Advisory Committee.
3. Paragraph 11 of Executive Order 98-16 is amended to read as follows:
11. The Advisory Committee on Chip Mills shall be composed of 14 members appointed by the Governor and consisting of the following:
- The director of the Department of Natural Resources;
- The director of the Department of Conservation;
- The director of the Department Economic Development;
- The director of the Department of Agriculture;
- Two (2) state representatives appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives;
- Two (2) state senators appointed by the President Pro Tem of the Senate;
- Two (2) forest products representatives;
- Two (2) representatives of citizen environmental conservation groups;
- A forest landowner;
- A representative of an organization representing private property owners; and
- Any other members who the Governor may, from time to time, appoint.
||IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 20th day of January, 2000.
||[Mel Carnahan's signature]
[Rebecca McDowell Cook's signature]
SECRETARY OF STATE
Governor's Executive Orders documents are available on this website in the .pdf format. In order to view or print them, you must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. To download a free copy of Adobe Reader, click on the icon below.
NOTE: If you are experiencing problems opening PDFs using IE8, please place the mouse over the selected PDF, right-click then select Open in New Tab or Open in New Window.