WHEREAS, reliable and affordable energy is essential to the health and welfare of Missouri citizens; and
WHEREAS, reliable and affordable energy is also essential to the economic well being of this State; and
WHEREAS, the State of Missouri needs a long-term comprehensive approach to assuring an adequate and reasonably priced energy supply; and
WHEREAS, new opportunities for alternative fuel sources and agriculturally based fuels should be promoted to lessen the State's dependence on foreign oil and gas.
NOW THEREFORE, I, Matt Blunt, Governor of the State of Missouri, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and Laws of the State of Missouri, do hereby create and establish the Missouri Energy Task Force.
The Task Force shall be composed of nine members. The Chair of the Public Service Commission shall serve as chairman of the Task Force and the remaining positions shall be filled by the following individuals:
- The Lieutenant Governor, in his capacity as Senior Advocate for Missouri;
- The Public Counsel;
- The Speaker of the House of Representatives;
- The President Pro Tem of the Senate;
- One member of the House of Representatives' Utilities Committee, as designated by the Speaker;
- One member of the Senate's Commerce and Environment Committee, as designated by the President Pro Tem;
- The Director of the Department of Agriculture, or his designee; and
- The Director of the Department of Natural Resources, or his designee.
Members of the Task Force shall receive no compensation for their service to the people of Missouri but may seek reimbursement for their reasonable and necessary expenses incurred as members of the Task Force, in accordance with the rules and regulations of the Office of Administration, to the extent that funds are available for such purpose.
The Task Force is assigned for administrative purposes to the Public Service Commission. The Executive Director of the Public Service Commission shall be available to assist the Task Force as necessary, and shall provide the Task Force with any staff assistance the Task Force may require from time to time.
The Task Force shall meet at the call of its Chair, and the Chair shall call the first meeting of the Task Force as soon as possible.
The Task Force shall provide a final report to the Governor no later than August 31, 2006. This report shall provide specific recommendations to:
- Lessen Missouri's dependence on oil and other fossil fuels;
- Assist Missourians who need help to afford their winter heating bills;
- Promote the development of alternative fuel sources in ways that strengthen the farm economy of rural Missouri;
- Encourage Missouri utilities to develop and operate electric power generation resources that will provide low-cost electricity well into the future.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 27th day of December, 2005.
[Matt Blunt's signature]
[Robin Carnahan's signature]
Secretary of State