WHEREAS, the State of Missouri is committed to enhancing the economic health and prosperity of socially and economically disadvantaged small business and women/minority business enterprises; and
WHEREAS, section 37.020.2, RSMo, states that "[t]he office of administration, in consultation with each department, shall establish and implement a plan to increase and maintain the participation of certified socially and economically disadvantaged small business concerns or minority business enterprises, directly or indirectly, in contracts for supplies, services, and construction contracts, consistent with goals determined after an appropriate study conducted to determine the availability of socially and economically disadvantaged small business concerns and minority business enterprises in the marketplace"; and
WHEREAS, the Office of Administration has commissioned a Disparity Study which will be completed by August 15, 2014; and
WHEREAS, analysis of the findings of the Disparity Study and the formulation of recommendations that will promote greater participation in state contracting by women/minority business enterprises is an important endeavor that will be aided by a diverse group of individuals who understand the governmental contracting process and the challenges faced by women/minority businesses in that process; and
WHEREAS, the appointment of a committee to thoughtfully review the findings of the Disparity Study and produce meaningful recommendations will assist the State of Missouri in developing a contracting process that is inclusive, promotes diversity and provides greater opportunity for women/minority business enterprises.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JEREMIAH W. (JAY) NIXON, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI, under the authority vested in me under the constitution and the laws of the State of Missouri, do hereby establish the Disparity Study Oversight Review Committee.
The Disparity Study Oversight Review Committee shall consist of the following individuals:
- Michael Middleton, Deputy Chancellor, University of Missouri-Columbia
- William "Bill" Thornton, General Counsel, Missouri Department of Higher Education
- John Truesdell, Vice President, Rose International (Retired)
- Dr. Valerie Blackmon, Management Consultant, Blackmon Consulting
- Charlotte Hardin, Missouri Legislative Black Caucus Foundation Board
- Lyle Randolph, Vice President and General Manager, Isle Casino Cape Girardeau
- Lisa Althoff, Executive Director, Missouri Women's Council
- Theresa Garza Ruiz, Political Director, Laborers' Local #264
- Nia Richardson, Director of Business Development and Marketing, DuBois Consultants, Inc.
- Rhonda Carter Adams, Executive Director, St. Louis/Eastern Missouri Area Mid-States Minority Supplier Development Council
- Anna Croslin, President and Chief Executive Officer, International Institute of St. Louis
- Redditt Hudson, Regional Field Organizer, NAACP Region IV
- State Representative Tommie Pierson, Missouri House of Representatives District No. 66, Chairman of the Legislative Black Caucus
- Karlos Ramirez, Executive Director, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Leonard Toenjes, President, Associated General Contractors of St. Louis
The Disparity Study Oversight Review Committee is assigned for administrative purposes to the Office of Administration and the Commissioner of Administration is authorized to reimburse such expenses of the Committee as deemed appropriate.
The Disparity Study Oversight Review Committee shall engage in a thorough review and analysis of the Disparity Study and shall develop appropriate recommendations designed to increase the participation of women/minority business enterprises, directly or indirectly, in state contracts. The Commissioner of Administration may assign such additional duties as deemed necessary to accomplish the goals of the Committee.
The Disparity Study Oversight Review Committee shall present to the Governor and Commissioner of Administration by December 31, 2014, a report containing an analysis of the Disparity Study and its recommendations to increase participation by socially and economically disadvantaged small business concerns and women/minority business enterprises in state contracting.
This Executive Order shall expire on December 31, 2014, unless extended by subsequent Order.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 2nd day of July, 2014.
[Jay Nixon's signature]
Jeremiah W. (Jay) Nixon
[Jason Kander's signature]
Secretary of State