WHEREAS, Missourians deserve a government that works better for them; and
WHEREAS, the government does not currently adequately measure outcomes or performance; and
WHEREAS, a Chief Operating Officer is to proactively identify, implement, and recommend to the Governor reforms for government to do more with less and to better serve all Missourians; and
WHEREAS, a Chief Operating Officer will drive innovation to improve management, performance, and accountability across the state's executive departments.
NOW THEREFORE, I, ERIC R. GREITENS, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the State of Missouri, do hereby order:
- The position of Chief Operating Officer (COO) is hereby established.
- The Chief Operating Officer shall report directly to the Governor and serve as a member of the Governor's executive team.
- The Chief Operating Officer's duties shall include:
- Overseeing operations of the State of Missouri's executive departments;
- Reforming executive departments to be leaner, more efficient, effective, and responsive to the needs of the citizens of Missouri;
- Collaborating with departments to develop and implement performance improvement plans;
- Leading inter-agency and inter-department efforts to cut waste, fraud, abuse, and redundant services and programs; and
- Identifying best practices from other states and implementing those best practices in Missouri's executive departments.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 11th day of January, 2017.
[Eric R. Greitens's signature]
Eric R. Greitens
[Jay Ashcroft's signature]
John R. Ashcroft
Secretary of State