WHEREAS, Missourians should pay no more in taxes than absolutely necessary to fund the essential services of state government; and
WHEREAS, as President Ronald Reagan said, "Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government always finds a need for the money it gets;" and
WHEREAS, Missouri 's tax structure should be simple, fair to everyone, and low; and
WHEREAS, Missouri has dozens of different tax credit programs; and
WHEREAS, Missouri awards more than half a billion dollars each year in tax credits; and
WHEREAS, a more effective tax policy will make Missouri more attractive to businesses and create jobs; and
WHEREAS, a committee is needed to study Missouri's tax rates and tax credits, and to recommend proposed reforms.
NOW THEREFORE, I, ERIC R. GREITENS, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the State of Missouri, do hereby order:
- The Governor's Committee for Simple, Fair, and Low Taxes is hereby established.
- The goals of the Committee shall be to:
- Compare Missouri 's tax credit programs and its tax rates to those of its peer states;
- Assess the economic impact of existing state tax credit programs;
- Assess the possibility of financing cuts to overall state tax rates with cuts to tax credit programs; and
- Recommend comprehensive tax reform legislation to the Governor no later than June 30, 2017.
- The Committee shall hold at least four town hall meetings around the state to receive comments from members of the public.
- The Committee shall be comprised of ten unpaid members:
- Four members appointed by the Governor;
- Three members appointed by the President Pro Tem of the Senate; and
- Three members appointed by the Speaker of the House.
- The Governor shall designate a chair of the Committee.
- The Committee shall be dissolved upon the submission of its recommendations to the Governor.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 25th day of January, 2017.
[Eric R. Greitens's signature]
Eric R. Greitens
[Jay Ashcroft's signature]
John R. Ashcroft
Secretary of State