WHEREAS, on August 10, 1821, Missouri was admitted as the 24th state to the union; and
WHEREAS, on August 10, 2021, Missouri will celebrate its 200th anniversary as a state; and
WHEREAS, the progress of this great state and its citizens over the past 200 years is deserving of special recognition; and
WHEREAS, the Ninety-seventh General Assembly, First Regular Session, directed the State Historical Society of Missouri to develop plans, ideas, and proposals to commemorate and celebrate the Missouri bicentennial; and
WHEREAS, the Ninety-ninth General Assembly, Second Regular Session, appropriated $200,000 to the State Historical Society for the purpose of furthering the bicentennial commemoration; and
WHEREAS, the State Historical Society of Missouri, in collaboration with the Missouri Bicentennial Alliance, has made exemplary progress in developing plans for the bicentennial commemoration:
NOW, THEREFORE, I Michael L. Parson, Governor of the State of Missouri, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the State of Missouri, do hereby establish the Missouri Bicentennial Commission whose purpose shall be to aid the State Historical Society of Missouri in its charge to plan for and implement the commemoration of the Missouri bicentennial and to further state efforts to honor the State of Missouri and its rich history and heritage on the occasion of its bicentennial. The Commission’s composition shall be as follows:
- The Lieutenant Governor, or his designee;
- The Secretary of State, or his designee;
- The President Pro Tempore of the Missouri Senate, or his designee;
- The Speaker of the Missouri House of Representatives, or his designee;
- The directors, or their designees, of the Department of Conservation, the Department of Natural Resources, the Department of Agriculture, and the Division of Tourism;
- The director, or his designee, of the State Historical Society of Missouri;
- The president, or her designee, of the Missouri Historical Society;
- The director, or his designee, of the Missouri Humanities Council;
- The chair, or her designee, of the Missouri State Capitol Commission;
- Four members of the public, to be appointed by the Governor; and
- Such other members as the Governor may from time to time appoint.
The Governor shall designate two members of the Commission to serve as co-chairpersons. The Commission will coordinate with non-profit organizations and government agencies in promoting and planning statewide projects commemorating the state’s 200th anniversary.
The Commission shall report to the Governor as it deems necessary.
The Commission shall terminate on August 10, 2022.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri in the City of Jefferson, on this 12th day of October, 2018.
[Michael L. Parson's signature]
Michael L. Parson
[Jay Ashcroft's signature]
John R. Ashcroft
Secretary of State