WHEREAS, the United States Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Assistance launched the Justice Reinvestment Initiative in 2006, which provides policymakers with resources and tools to increase public safety, hold offenders accountable, and control corrections costs, resulting in a more effective justice system; and
WHEREAS, the Missouri State Justice Reinvestment Task Force, established by Executive Order 17-17 on June 28, 2017, developed comprehensive criminal justice legislation, House Bill No. 1355, which was passed by the General Assembly and signed into law on June 1, 2018; and
WHEREAS, while the Missouri State Justice Reinvestment Task Force has successfully completed the mission assigned to them, there is still work to be done to improve the efficiency of our state’s criminal justice system:
NOW THEREFORE, I, MICHAEL L. PARSON, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI, hereby establish the Missouri Justice Reinvestment Executive Oversight Council as follows:
- The Council shall include the following members or their designees:
- The Lieutenant Governor;
- A member of the Senate from both the majority and minority party appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate;
- A member of the House of Representatives from both the majority and minority party appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives;
- A member of the Missouri Supreme Court appointed by the Chief Justice of the Missouri Supreme Court;
- The Director of the Department of Corrections, who shall also serve as chairperson;
- The Director of the Department of Mental Health;
- The Director of the Department of Public Safety;
- The Director of the Department of Social Services;
- The Director of the Department of Economic Development;
- The Chairman of the Parole Board;
- A representative from the Missouri Sheriffs’ Association;
- A representative from the Missouri Police Chiefs Association; and
- Such other members as the Governor may appoint.
- The Council shall advise the Office of the Governor on the implementation of the Missouri Justice Reinvestment Act by soliciting input from advisory groups on implementation protocols, monitoring the progress of multi-agency working groups throughout the state, and providing additional recommendations based on data monitoring in order to foster sustainability of all justice reinvestment efforts.
- The Council shall submit a report of its actions and recommendations to the Governor no less than annually.
- The Council shall participate in the United States Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Assistance Justice Reinvestment Initiative (JRI). The JRI may provide assistance to the Council.
- The Department of Corrections shall provide staff support for the Council.
- Members of the Council shall not receive any compensation for their duties as members of the Council, but may be reimbursed for necessary expenses associated with performing their duties, subject to the availability of funds.
- The Council shall dissolve as of December 31, 2020, unless reauthorized or terminated by a subsequent Executive Order.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 25th day of October, 2018.
[Michael L. Parson's signature]
MICHAEL L. PARSON
[Jay Ashcroft's signature]
JOHN R. ASHCROFT
SECRETARY OF STATE