WHEREAS, this spring and summer, Missouri has been plagued by record-level flooding across much of the state; and
WHEREAS, more than 80 levees have overtopped, and many of those have been breached from this year’s flooding; and
WHEREAS, the impact of such flooding on our citizens and communities has been devastating, costing millions of dollars in property damage; and
WHEREAS, resources are limited to assist with ongoing efforts to clean up and rebuild; and
WHEREAS, with extensive levee damage and limited resources, coordination among stakeholders is critical to allocating funds strategically; and
WHEREAS, stakeholder input is needed to provide relevant information to the state as we consider the allocation of state resources and options for levee recovery and conveyance improvement:
NOW THEREFORE, I, MICHAEL L. PARSON, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the State of Missouri, do hereby establish the Flood Recovery Advisory Working Group as follows:
- The Working Group shall consist of the following members, or their designees, to be appointed by the Governor, unless otherwise specified:
- The Director of the Department of Natural Resources;
- The Director of the Department of Agriculture;
- The Director of the Department of Economic Development;
- The Director of the State Emergency Management Agency;
- The Director of the Department of Transportation;
- A representative from the Missouri Levee and Drainage District Association, selected by the Association;
- A representative from Missouri Farm Bureau, selected by Farm Bureau;
- A representative from the Missouri Corn Growers Association, selected by the Association;
- A representative from the Missouri Soybean Association, selected by the Association;
- A representative from the Coalition to Protect the Missouri River, selected by the Coalition;
- A representative from the Missouri and Associated Rivers Coalition, selected by the Coalition;
- Two members from county or municipal governments representing local government interests;
- Two members representing agri-businesses or the agriculture industry; and
- Such other members as the Governor may appoint.
- The purpose of the Flood Recovery Advisory Working Group is to provide input on the state’s short-, medium-, and long-term flood recovery priorities and feedback on the state’s current levee system with suggested changes to benefit our state and its citizens. The Working Group shall identify areas where attention is needed and provide input on priorities for allocation of state funding as our state recovers from this year’s flooding. In addition to addressing short-term repairs to levees, the Working Group shall explore options to improve the conveyance of floodwater through our major rivers.
- The Departments of Natural Resources and Agriculture shall convene the Working Group, designate a chairperson, and provide staff support and assistance to the Working Group as needed.
- The Working Group shall submit an initial report to the Governor with findings and suggestions by December 31, 2019 and may submit additional reports as the Working Group determines to be appropriate thereafter. The Working Group shall submit its final report to the Governor by May 31, 2020, at which point the Working Group shall be dissolved unless reauthorized or superseded by a subsequent Executive Order.
- Members of the Working Group shall not receive any compensation for performance of their duties, but may be reimbursed for necessary expenses associated with performance of their duties, subject to the availability of funds.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 18th day of July, 2019.
[Michael L. Parson's signature]
Michael L. Parson
[Jay Ashcroft's signature]
John R. Ashcroft
Secretary of State