Library :: Library Development :: Resources
For Public Libraries
- Disaster Preparedness and Recovery: Access to The Librarian's Disaster Planning and Community Resiliency Guidebook and Workbook from the New Jersey State Library to help librarians fulfill their role as information first responders.
- Missouri Library Staff Guide: This resource, developed through a collaboration between Reference Services and Library Development staff at the Missouri State Library, groups together pertinent and timely information of interest to public library directors and staff.
- Missouri Public Library Trustee Manual: Created by COSLA (Chief Officers of State Library Agencies) and updated for Missouri. This manual covers topics including Running Effective Board Meetings, Capital Project Management and the Role of the Board of Trustees.
- Missouri Public Library Standards: A tool to assist directors and trustees to manage resources and aid in strategic planning. Developed by the Missouri Public Library Standards Review Committee, and approved by the Missouri Public Library Directors organization, and adopted the Missouri Library Association.
- Missouri Sunshine Law Booklet: A guide to Missouri’s Sunshine Law including court decisions, Attorney General opinions by category, frequently asked questions, and sample forms.
- Public Library Legal Framework: An independent study completed by Steven V. Potter, former director of Mid-Continent Public Library, Independence, MO. It explores the legal framework and constraints impacting public libraries in Missouri, including library boards, financial, and other considerations.
Missouri State Library (MOSL) Email Lists
- Missouri Adult Community Engagement (MOACE): A moderated discussion list for Missouri library staff to discuss adult patrons' needs and concerns and to share information and resources. This list will also provide information from MOSL and MOSL partners about free continuing education opportunities.
- Missouri Library Training Discussion List (MoLibTraining): A moderated discussion list for Missouri library staff to discuss continuing education needs and concerns, share information and resources, and provide information from MOSL and MOSL partners about free continuing education opportunities for Missouri public, school, academic, and special library staff.
- Missouri Ploud Project Discussion List (MO-Ploud): A moderated discussion list for libraries that have a website through the Ploud program to receive information and updates about the program and related services.
- Missouri Teen Services (MO-Teen): A moderated discussion list for Teen Services Librarians working in Missouri public and school libraries.
- Missouri Youth and Children (MOYAC): A moderated discussion list for staff providing children's and young adult services in Missouri public and school libraries
- DigitalLearn: This free, online portal offers lesson plans, presentations, handouts, and surveys, built by educators, that librarians can use to teach classes ranging from Microsoft Word to LinkedIn.
- Children’s Internet Use and Filtering
- Missouri Digital Equity: Learn how to effectively use the Internet with lessons covering setting up home internet, staying safe online, using the Internet and online resources, workplace skills, and more.
- Missouri Evergreen: A public library consortium providing resource sharing among member libraries by using a shared online catalog based on the open-source Evergreen software.
- Missouri Library Association (MLA): An educational organization operating to promote library service, the profession of librarianship, and cooperation among all types of libraries and organizations concerned with library service in the State of Missouri.
- Missouri Public Library Directors (MPLD) : An association of Missouri public library directors interested in the sharing of information about matters of mutual concern and in pursuing common goals through participation in legislative and other activities at the state and federal levels.
- MOBIUS: A consortium of academic, public, and special libraries providing a union catalog for the sharing of library materials.
- MOREnet: A member organization providing Internet connectivity, online resources, technical support, videoconferencing services, and training to Missouri's K-12 schools, colleges and universities, public libraries, health care, state government, and other affiliated organizations.