The Missouri State Archives research room is open to in-person researchers. For your convenience and to expedite your research, appointments are available. To request an appointment email [email protected]
or call (573) 751-3280.
Research requests may also be submitted through our online request form or emailed to [email protected]. R
esearchers can temporarily submit up to three requests at a time.
The Missouri State Archives is the repository for state records of historical value. Highlights among manuscripts and original documents in the Archives include French & Spanish land grants, testimony concerning the New Madrid earthquake of 1811-1812, maps of Missouri's first surveyed roads, Missouri's Ordinance Abolishing Slavery, and material pertaining to Harry S. Truman.
Currently, the Archives holds more than 336 million pages of paper; 829,000 photographs; 9,000 maps; 68,000 reels of microfilm, 1,000 cubic feet of published state documents and 1,000 audio/video items. These records include:
Guides to the Collection
Access to the Collections
Access to the Missouri State Archives collections is provided through the Archives Research Room. Information regarding records and use may be obtained from reference staff. Patrons must read and comply with the Researcher Agreement before beginning research activity.
The Missouri State Archives collections are non-circulating. Permanent state government records housed in the Missouri State Archives stacks area are available for use in the Archives Research Room. Advance request must be made for use of records from the stacks on Thursday evenings, Saturdays, and holidays. Microfilm and a limited selection of printed works are available in the Archives Research Room to researchers at all times.
Procedures For Requesting Research
Missouri State Archives staff does limited research for patrons who are unable to visit in person at no cost. Patrons may request information via telephone, e-mail, online request form, or postal mail.
Copies may be obtained of most records; archivists will determine whether the original records may be copied due to fragility.
The minimum fee for all copy requests is $1.00. This covers 2 microfilm/microfiche copies or 10 photocopies.
- Additional microfilm/microfiche copies are 25 cents per page for continuous pages from the same file
- Additional photocopies are 10 cents per page.
- The copy costs for deed records will be $1.00 for the first deed in a volume, then $0.50 for each additional deed in the same volume.
Please provide a #10 Business sized self-addressed stamped envelope for copy requests. Postage will be charged when an envelope is not provided or the number of copies will not fit in the envelope provided.
- 1-10 pages: $1.00
- 11-75 pages:
- Missouri, Illinois, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Kentucky, Tennessee: $8.00
- Anywhere else in continental United States: $13.00
- 76-500 pages
- Missouri, Illinois, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Kentucky, Tennessee: $10.50
- Anywhere else in continental United States: $14.00
- A quote will be provided for copies sent to Hawaii, Alaska, for international postage, or for requests greater than 500 pages.